SPS structural design, structural mechanics, thermal vibration, stability, etc.
Module 2.12 "Solar Power Satellite Structural Summary"
These are the actual complete operational satellite structural design parameters, getting many input variables from 2.11 and it's output variables will flow to modules 2.13, 10.1 and 9.1, as listed below
1. Panel Length, Width, Height
3. BOL (Beginning of Life) PV cell efficiency
4. Environmental sensitivity (loss of efficiency over time, (by year)
5. Cell operating temperature (C)
6. Output Voltage and Amps/hr
7. Transportation cost to GSO (either from earth or the moon)
8. Are Lunar Fabricated Materials included ? This determines whether lunar base
modules are evaluated.
9. Unit cost. Whether this piece went through a lunar fabrication process involving
many steps (represented only with this number) or a "simple" earth supply.
10. Radiated energy at backplane
11. Engineering reliability
12. Maximum allowable stress (P)
13. Cross sectional area, (A)
14. Neutral axis position, (C)
15. Principle second moments of area, (I)
16. Equivalent Young's modulus (E)
17. Torsional rigidity, (GJ),
19. Natural Harmonic Frequency
21. Maximum G load
22. Maximum G load axis (L,W, or H)
23. Minimum launch size package (Folded L, W, H)
CATIA or a similar tool, would be a likely vehicle for these variables.
Module 2.13 - "Solar Array Phenomena"
Diurnal vibration, thermal vibration, and many other gross phenomena will be covered here. This module will get input variables from 2.12 and it's output variables will flow to modules 2.14 and will set constraints and limits for modules 2.12, 2.14 and 2.15.
Module 2.15 – "Propulsion and station keeping."
Solar sailing work may have some very valuable input to this area, also potentially providing some useful light weight design ideas for modules 2.11 and 2.12 for inclusion in the CATIA-based (or other tool) model. This module will get input variables from 2.14 and it's output variables will flow to module 2.16.
Module 2.16 – "Wireless Power transmission antenna design"
Electrical, antenna structural, pointing and control electronics. This must be paired to coordinate with Module 10.1: "5 GWe Rectenna cost/design study" This module will get input variables from 2.14 and it's output variables will flow to modules 10.11.
Module 2.17 – " Tele-Robotic Construction/Communications/fabrication
This work is intended to be entirely automated or telerobotic, but will need communications support and transportation. The robotics group (4) is the key contact for this module. This module will get input variables from 2.11, 2.12, 2.13, 2.15, 2.16, and it's output variables will flow to module 9.1.
Module 2.18 - Space Transportation shipping schedule.
Materials handling and the logistics of moving the various supplies to GSO.
Module 2.19 – Final structural design REVIEW"
On the basis of given criteria, i.e. loads, deflections, etc. and as regards their static and dynamic behavior.